Friday, July 1, 2011

F-ck!

          This story took place while I was on my college radio station DJ-ing. I was in the studio talking to a friend of mine while letting the music play on it's own. I had turned down the volume so that the music didn't play in the studio, but still went out over the air. Now when I apply to be a host I have to sign a contract that says I can't play or say any curse words over the air. If I do than I have to pay a fine of $325,000 per word. That is not a typo. The fine is three-hundred twenty-five thousand dollars for each curse word. Also, the music we play has already been prearranged on a program which plays over the air in a specific order. However, if we choose to switch up the songs on the program so we can listen to a song we like, we are allowed to do so. With that being said I can get back to the story.
          So there I was talking to my friend and not hearing what was being played over the air. All of a sudden our station advisor came bursting through the studio door with a look of alarm on his face. "Are they saying f-ck on the air?" he asked. Apparently he had been listening to the show in his office. I than turned up the studio volume to hear what song was being played. To the shock of my friend and I we heard the singer yelling "f-ck f-ck f-ck" over and over again. I immediately hit the "next" button on the board and the next song started playing. "What song was that?" my advisor asked. "I don't know" I said "I didn't check the computer to find out".
          He walked on over to the computer and looked at the last song played. It read "Seven Words by Deftones". He than went online to see if he could find the lyrics. As he started searching I asked "I can't get in trouble for this right? After all I wasn't the one that put it on, it was already on the schedule". "Actually you can Chris" he responded. "What! Why?" I asked. But he ignored me as he found the lyrics online. After looking them over he said "What is this song?" he asked "All it is is curse word after curse word. How did this even get into the system?" He than walked out in search of someone that could give him an explanation.
          I looked at the lyrics and to my very slight relief, the singer had been saying suck. But it could very easily have been mistaken for f-ck. It had managed to full my advisor. The next time I turned on the mic I pretended that nothing had happened and finished the show as normal. After I was done I looked at the lyrics again. Just based on what was said during the main chorus's alone, I was looking at over TEN MILLION DOLLARS in fines. I was so scared I nearly felt sick. Where the hell does anyone get over ten million dollars? I would sooner kill myself than take on a debt like that. The only way I would be able to get out of this would be if nobody reported me to the FCC.
          The next day I ran into into the advisor again. He explained to me that the curse words had in fact been edited. But because of the way the main chorus was performed it was hard to tell. So no charges could be brought up against me or the station. Words can not express how relieved I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment