Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Snowboard Beaten Part 1

          This is another story that involves my friend Dave and I. But this time we had our friend Bret with us for this adventure. The three of us had decided that we wanted to take a weekend vacation in the Poconos for the Winter, but we had disagreements on what we wanted to do. I learned to ski at a young age so that is what I wanted to do. Our friend Bret knew how to ski, but decided that he wanted to give snowboarding a try. Dave had never been skiing or snow boarding, but eventually decided that he would try snowboarding because he used to skateboard and thought that would make it easier for him to catch on.
          Given my experience on the slopes I know how hard it is for people to control a snowboard. After considering the physical capabilities of my friends, I didn't think it would work out for them and urged them to get ski's with me. But it was no use, they had both made up their minds that they were going to snowboard. Personally I think they picked snowboarding because they thought it was the "cooler" thing to do. They than said that they planned to get snowboarding lessons so that they could learn faster.
          So the three of us went to the Poconos with our own agendas in mind. Once we arrived we got a room than headed off for the mountain. We had the plan that I would go ski on the mountain for about two hours while they got their snowboarding lessons on the bunny hill. Once they were done we would all meet up and go on the mountain together. I can still remember when we were about to separate and Dave said to me "Now Chris, don't go doing anything stupid and end up getting yourself hurt". I told him I would be fine and headed off.
          I than spent two hours having fun on my own. I even went on the free style terrain for my first time and went off a few jumps. I know I told Dave I wouldn't do anything dumb, but it seemed like so much fun, and it was. I eventually realized two hours had passed and checked my cell phone, but no one had called. I waited a little longer and than decided to call them myself, but no one picked up so I left a message. After a bit longer I called again and again no one answered. This process happened a third time and I stopped bothering to call. An hour passed by and I was getting pretty frustrated at them.
          Finally, while waiting for a ski lift my phone started ringing. I picked it up and heard Dave's voice on the other end of the line. "Where are you?" I demanded. "We're in the lodge" Dave answered. "Well get up here" I said "I've been waiting for you all day". "We can't" Dave started "We got ourselves hurt during training". I stayed silent for a second, not believing what I had just heard. "OK" I said "I'm headed to the lodge right now". On my way to the lodge I still couldn't figure out how this was possible. How is it that BOTH of them got hurt, during TRAINING, on the BUNNY HILL! I have to be honest, I thought the to of them were just overreacting to falling over a few times. So while I was slightly concerned, I was more annoyed.
          After getting to the bottom of the mountain and putting my ski's on the rack, I made my way into the lodge. I searched for a bit, but eventually found them. As soon as I saw them my frustration turned to confusion and pity. Dave was sitting at a table tending to his wrists which were black and blue. Bret, who was in far worse condition, looked like someone had smacked him in the face with a shovel. His face was bloody and bruised. I walked up to them and asked "What the hell happened to you guys?". I will conclude this story in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment