Monday, December 12, 2011

Failed Barefoot Water Skiing Attempt

          This story took place last summer when my family and I were down Long Beach Island. We were out on our wave runners and getting pulled from behind while using a knee board. The way this would work is a person would take the knee board and jump into the water behind the waver runner. Than while sitting on top of the board, they would be dragged through the water by holding onto a rope. Well after taking my turn on the board, I told them I wanted to try barefoot skiing.
          "Chris" my brother said "This isn't going to work". "Sure it will" I said while swimming to the handle at he end of the rope. I grabbed the handle and faced forward. I got myself in a sitting position with my feet held out in front of me. "OK, here's the plan" I said "When I say go, I want you to hit the gas and I'll catch the water with my feet. Than I'll be able to rise my self up to the surface and hopefully be able to remain standing. "You're not going to be able to do it" my dad said. "Yes I will" I said "Now when I say go, you go OK". "OK" my dad said.
          I braced myself by leaning back, gripping the handle tight, and keeping my feet up. "OK GO!" I yelled. My dad gunned the engine and I was pulled with so much force that I ended up in the exact opposite position from where I started. I was dragged head first under the water, while my legs were pulled from the front position of my body to the back. I felt like a torpedo that had been shot underwater.  It was a cool sensation to be moving under the water so fast. I could feel myself cutting through the water and heard the roar of the waves passing by. I probably should have just let go of the rope, but I didn't. I must have been under the water for only six seconds, though it felt longer.
          The rope had stopped pulling and a surfaced. I saw my brother and dad laughing. "What great idea that was" he said sarcastically. "OK" I said "We're going to try this again, but this time I want you to start slower". "Your crazy" my dad said "We're not doing it again, get on the wave runner". "Why not I?" I asked. "Cause you're not going to be able to do it, now hop on and let's go" he said. "Fine" I said and swam over. I hopped on the waive runner and we drove off.

No comments:

Post a Comment