Monday, July 25, 2011

Disturbed and Korn Part 1

          Disturbed and Korn are my favorite bands and have been for a long time. I have all their albums and know almost all their songs by heart. When I'm questioned about why I like them so much I answer, "because they sing about issues that are relevant to my life".  As I explained to two friends of mine, most of the songs I would hear as a kid were about two things, "money" and "sex". These were the song topics that almost everyone at school seemed to be listening to. But even though some of the songs sounded good, I could never get into them.
          The reason was because I had no personal connection with them. I wasn't drowning in money and I didn't have a bunch of hot girls flocking around me like these artists would sing about in their songs and videos. Eventually I discovered the band Disturbed, and than Korn. Not only did they play awesome music, but I was able to make that personal connection with their songs that I didn't have before. They actually helped me to deal with emotional problems that I've had to deal with in life.
          I often use the music of Disturbed as a source of empowerment and strength. So when I feel afraid or nervous I will play one of their songs to make me feel stronger. Korn on the other hand helps me to release negative emotions that I have. When I'm hurt or am haunted my painful memories, I use their songs to help me cope with the problem that I am dealing with. Each band has had a great impact on my life.
          In the past I would often wonder "If I was given the chance to see only one of them, who would I pick?" I could never pick one over the other. Luckily it was a choice I never had to make because the opportunity to see both of them fell right into my lap. This past fall I was going through my semester at Monmouth University when I started hearing a rumor that Disturbed and Korn were going to be playing live. Doing my best to not get overly excited, I decided to check if the rumor was true. I looked online and found out that they were in fact going to be at my college.
           Now at this time I was the News Director of the college radio station and every Wednesday the board members would get together and talk about what needed to be done. Our station advisor started off the meeting by letting us know how the station has been doing. He than held up a flyer to us that read "Disturbed and Korn Live at Monmouth University". After reading off the information to us he asked if anyone wanted to do anything with this event, like setting up an interview or something along those lines. My arm shot up so fast it was nearly ripped from it's socket. But just to make sure I had his full attention I started banging the desk next to me. Either nobody else wanted the task or they saw how badly I wanted it and didn't want to fight for it.
          Our advisor told me that I could be the one to set something up with the bands. I was so excited I was nearly jumping up and down, or maybe I was. It was decided that the best thing I could do was set up a phone interview with one of the bands. I than took the information I needed and started coming up with a plan for what I was going to do.
          What are the odds? This was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. Not only was I going to see both perform, but now I had the chance to interview one of them. I wonder if our advisor had any idea how far I would go to get the interview. This story will be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment