Friday, July 22, 2011

Burned Part 2

          My parents were pretty shocked I had messed up my leg so bad. They decided that the first thing that needed to be done was to clean it out. So they had me sit down on the counter while they grabbed the best tool for the job, hydrogen peroxide. Now as I said in the last post, I hadn't felt any pain because the nerves had been destroyed on the surface. But that all changed when they poured that stupid hydrogen peroxide on my leg and in sank into my skin. It BURNED like crazy. I would say that it hurt even more than when my leg was stuck to the motor.
          After having the all the dirt and grim come burning to the surface, they decided that it would be a good idea to pour even more on just to be safe. They than wiped the puss off my wound and started wrapping it up in gauze. A doctors visit was immediately scheduled for me.
          For the visit the doctor started by cleaning it out with some fluid and a type of sponge. It was actually kind of soothing, but the medication he used still kind of burned. He than used tweezers and scissors to cut the dead skin from my leg. When he was done he wrapped up my leg and sent me on my way with my mom. I would have to come back multiple times to get the bandages changed.
          I've scene cases on TV where people go through maggot therapy to have dead skin removed and have wondered if I would have preferred that instead. It may seem gross to have maggots crawling on you, but I think it would have been less painful. Of course with my imagination as a kid I would have been too scared that they would start eating into my leg and start nesting.
          Any way, the healing process was awful. The days weren't so bad, I just couldn't do any outdoor activities. The nights however, were by far the worst part. I would be forced to stay up because the wound would itch and burn, but I couldn't touch it because it was wrapped up. I have found that when ever I have some kind of medical problem, particularly involving my skin, the symptoms get far worse during the night. Such incidents have literally drove me insane. Maybe I'll make a post about the time I got poison sumac and tried going to sleep with my head in a bucket of ice water while using a snorkel to breath. So back to the story, my summer was ruined. I have never ridden my bike in shorts since I went through that ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment