Sunday, July 31, 2011

Disturbed and Korn Part 2

          As exited as I was for this opportunity, I wasn't entirely sure what kind of procedures I would have to go through in order to get the interview set up. Usually the people I interview for the radio station contact me and aren't nearly as big a name as Disturbed and Korn. Who do you even speak with to let the band know you want to interview them?  I was told that the best thing I could do was call the number on the flyer and talk to people that put them up. So I did and ended up playing a ridicules game of phone tag with them.
          After getting a bit frustrated about jumping from phone call to phone call and seemingly getting nowhere, I decided to take a more direct approach to the situation. Let's see them try and bounce me around when they see me in person. So I searched online and found out where there company was located, I than put the address into my GPS and drove there. It took a bit of searching, but I eventually found them.
          After walking through the front door I introduced myself to a lady sitting at a desk. I told her that I was the News Director of my college station and that I was interested in setting up an interview with Disturbed and/or Korn. After a bit of questioning she than asked me which members of the bands I'd like to speak to. Now because I was setting up a phone interview I would only be able to talk to one person. So I told her that "I would like to speak to David Draiman from Disturbed and/or Jonathan Davis from Korn." I figured I could do two separate interviews with each lead singer if need be.
          She than told me she would do what she could to get things set up. I thanked her very much for her help and went back to my apartment. Time went by and I didn't receive any calls about how things were going. So I decided to contact her to see how things were progressing. She explained that she was having difficulty getting in contact with the bands and setting anything up. So she told me to giver her a call another time to see how things were going.
          This kind of phone call took place multiple times, all the way up to a week before the show. During a talk with a friend of mine I mentioned the problem I was having. He told me that he didn't think the lady ever intended to set met up for an interview. She just wanted to give me the runaround so that I wouldn't bother them. As much as I didn't want to believe him, I figured he might be right. After all, I had notified her months in advance of the concert so that she would have plenty of time to do what she needed to do. I was bummed. I thought I was so close to achieving a life dream.
          "All well" I thought to myself "at least it will be cool to see them at the concert". As that thought went through my head a light bulb went on. "THAT"S IT!" my mind screamed " I could meet with them the day of the concert and do the interview with one of our portable recording devices." Doing it that way I could record everyone in the band. I made a final call to my contact to see if this was doable. I don't remember what she said, but it wasn't too helpful. I decided that I would get to the campus the morning of the show and see if I could talk with someone about doing a quick interview. I had a new plan and was ready to put it to the test. This story will be continued in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment