Friday, May 13, 2011

Stuck in my Apartment Part 1

          This story took place last year. I was in my apartment hainging out and waiting too meet up with a friend of mine at our college. While I was waiting, another buddy of mine decided to stop by and see me. He knocked on the door and asked me to let him in. "It's open" I told him. "No it's not" he answered back. I got up and walked to the door. I stopped when I saw that the door handle was unlocked. "Yes, it is" I said. I that watched as he tried to turn the knob. "What in the world" I thought to myself.
          I walked up to the door and tried to turn the handle, but for some reason it didn't move. After feeling a bit confused a thought came to my mind. My friend was known for playing pranks on people so I asked him what he did. "Nothing" he answered "I just walked over here to see what you were doing". I didn't entirley believe him. "Brian" I said "I have to meet Albalardo in about an hour at the college. Let me out". "Seriously, I'm not doing anything" he answered "You can't open it on your side either"? "No" I said "The handle won't move". "Chris, give me your key and I'll try to see if I can rattle it open". I took my key out of my pocked and slid it under the door. "If he runs off with my key he's dead" I thought to myself. I heard Brian moving the key around in the knob but it wasn't moving.
          After giving up he slid it back to be me under the door. "Try using a card to open it" I suggested. He tried a card but the space was too small for the card to fit into. "Hey Chris I'll be back" he said "I'm gonna run back to my apartment and grab some tools". So he ran off and I sat back on my coach and waited for him.
          At this point some of you might be wondering why I don't just jump out a window to get out. There are a few reasons why. First, my room is on the seconed floor of the complex so it would be a bit of a drop. Seconed, the door to the deck of my apartment has been cut off because my landlord was having construction done to it. So there was no way for me to get out.
          Finally, Brian got back with his tools. "What are you going to do"? I asked. "Well I was going to unscrew the knob so I could reach the lock on the inside" he said "But it looks like the screws are on your side". After looking at the knob on my side I answered "Yup, they are". "Okay, than I'm going to have to throw them to you from the side window" he answered. "OK" I replied "I'll be waiting for you over there".
          I walked over to my window and saw my friend in the parkinglot ready to toss a screwdriver through the window. "Ready"! he asked. He than through the screwdriver right at me. I decided not to catch it and just let it fly into the kitchen, almost hitting the far wall. I than picked it up off the floor and headed for the door. I waited for him to get back up the stairs and be on the other side.
          Once there he said "Chris, unscrew it just enough so that I can get to the inside of the lock". So I did as he said and made the screws loose enough so that we could see the inside. We saw that the piece that connected the handle to the bolt was broken. "What do we do now"? I asked. "Well we could just take the handle apart entriley" he said "but we might end up braking the door in the proccess. I'm gonna need to just get help for this. But before I do we need to put the handle back together or they may think that it's our fault that the doors broken". So we tightened up the screws and he ran off to go get help. This story will be concluded in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment