Sunday, June 12, 2011

My First Spanish Class and Test Part 2

          With my new found spark of hope I began writing on my paper. I wrote out each word in english and added an "O" or "A" at the end of it. So for colors my answers looked like this: Blueo, Purplea, Greeno, Yellowa. I than pulled the same stunt with the months and days. When it was over I had successfully filled in all the answers. However, I didn't believe for one second that I was right on any of them.
          I sat for a bit longer so I could work up the courage to hand in my test. I new she was going to look at what I had written and wanted to be gone when she did. As fast as I could I got up, swung my backpack over my shoulder, handed my test in, and was out the door before she had the chance to flip to the second page. I was so proud of myself for squeezing out of that tight situation that I had to tell somebody. So naturally I called my best friend Dave. After I told him what I had done he started cracking up.
          About a week later my test was returned to me and as expected I received an "F" for my grade. I took it home and showed it to Dave. He laughed even harder than when I had told him about it. "Oh my God!" he said to himself "he actually did it!" "I told you I did" I answered. "Yea" he replied "but I didn't think you were serious". We both ended up showing my brother and sister the test results. Now they had been taking spanish, so it was even that much funnier to them to see how horrible my answers were. I didn't take it personally at all. I thought it was just as funny as they did.
          Dave considered this to be undeniable evidence that there was no way I was going to pass the class. With this test being such a failure I actually made an effort to study hard. I even made the extra effort to get audio CD's on speaking spanish. But even with all the time and work that I put into learning it, I never got higher than a 50 on any of my tests in the class. When I went to my guidance counselor to see what grades I had gotten for the semester, I new what the outcome was going to be.
          She would start off reading the class and than tell me the grade I got. "and for your spanish class" she started. "Yea, I know, I failed" I thought to myself. "you received a B" she said. "What! Really?" I asked in shock. "Yes" she answered "it says that you got a B for your finale grade". "Can I take a look at it on your computer?" I asked, still not believing her. I walked to her side of the desk and sure enough saw a B next to my spanish class. I was absolutely thrilled at what I was seeing. I left her office with a big smile on my face.
          When I got to the parking lot I decided to call Dave and tell him the good news. But his response to what I told him was anything but congratulatory. "WHAT!" he exclaimed "How is that possible? You FAILED every test that was given to you. You don't deserve a C, let alone a B". He than started rambling on about some class he worked hard at and ended up getting a low grade. When he was done talking I jokingly said "Don't forget about the hundred bucks you owe me for passing the class". "YOU AREN'T GETTING A CENT OUT OF ME!" he nearly yelled. He than started saying how it was unfair that I had passed the class and that he wanted to call the school to have my teacher investigated. Of course we both knew he wasn't going to do that. When we were done talking I turned off my phone while laughing to myself.
          I never got the money from him for passing, but than I never expected to. I believe the reason I passed the class was because I was nice to the teacher. As the semester went on and kids became more frustrated, they started being nasty to her. Considering we were all doing bad, I think she was forced to choose who would pass and who would fail. After all, if everyone had failed it would have made her look bad. So I was given the privilege of being one of the students that passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment