Sunday, June 19, 2011

Pulled Over Part 1

          This story took place back when I was in high school. My friend Dave and I were headed back to my house after getting work done in a local town. I don't remember what we were doing, but it isn't relevant to the story, so it's OK. If I remember correctly, this was the first time Dave had the opportunity to drive me around my area considering he had just got his license. We were talking while on the way back to my house when Dave said "Chris, we're getting pulled over". "What?"I asked, as I looked up into the rearview mirror. Sure enough there was a cop with lights flashing right behind us.
          As Dave pulled over to the side I asked "You weren't speeding were you"? "No" he said, with the car finally stopped. As the officer got out of the car I remembered how these local cops had the habit of pulling people over for dumb reasons. With that in mind I was confident that this would be no big deal. The officer walked up to Dave's window, which was open. He asked for my friends license and registration. Before the officer or Dave could start talking, I decided to jump on in and say what was on my mind.
          "Excuse me officer" I asked "Why are you pulling my friend over?" The guy stood there not answering back. Not taking a hint I continued. "Is it because you think he's too young to drive?" I asked. I noticed that Dave's grip was tightening on the steering wheel and he had a stressed look on his face just staring out the front windshield. I imagine that he was pretending that the steering wheel was my throat and he was strangling me. So to keep my friend from getting arrested for murder I decided to keep quite.
          The officer than started questioning Dave. One of the questions he asked was about a bat that Dave was keeping in the back seat. Dave explained that the bat was kept for protection because he lived in a bad area.  After questioning Dave a bit further, he asked him to step out of the car. I assured Dave that everything was going to be OK. I watched in the mirror as the cop spoke to Dave, while pointing at something on the back of the vehicle. I figured that he was pointing at a bad light or something like that.
          As soon as he was done explaining what was wrong to Dave we would be free to go. Or so I thought. Next thing I know the cop has Dave with his hands on the car while patting him down. After seeing this I got a bit more concerned and tried to figure out what was going on. When the officer was done patting Dave he walked up to my side and asked me to step out of the vehicle. This story will be concluded in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment