Thursday, April 21, 2011

Surviving a Storm Part 1

          About two summers ago I was down the shore at Long Beach Island and my brother and I wanted to take one of our family wave-runners out on the bay for a drive. We asked our dad if we could, but he said we couldn't because there was a storm in the area. After waiting a while I noticed that the storm had moved on so I tried asking my dad again. Because he was in the process of talking to guests at our houses, he agreed so that we would leave him alone.
          My brother and I got dressed and ran to the docks. I hopped on the controls at the front and my younger brother sat on the back holding onto me. After turning on the engine I pushed off the dock and we sped off. My plan was to drive to the inlet and play around  by jumping off the waves. Incase you don't know, the inlet is where the bay water meets the ocean so waves are constantly forming. I consider the inlet to be my playground in the water. The problem was that it was nearly twenty minutes away and my parents didn't want us going there. That wasn't going to stop  us though.
          As I was driving I looked to my right I could see the dark clouds over the main land. Considering they were so far way I didn't see them as a problem. We eventually arrived at the inlet and that's when the fun began. I sped through the water jumping over four foot waves. We would go back and forth through the inlet and see how many waves we could hit. We stayed and messed around for a while until I noticed something wrong. The water was getting much rougher and didn't have the same flow as before. We decided that things were getting a bit too dangerous so we made the decision to go back.
          As I was turning to head for the bay I saw that the dark clouds over the main land were slowly moving back toward the island. Knowing how far I had to go to get to the dock I told my brother told hold onto me as tight as he could. I than gunned the engine and flew as fast as possible. The clouds were getting closer and the waves were picking up. Because the waves were now nearly six feet high I had a hard time maintaining a fast speed. The wind soon picked up and rain began to pour down. Because of how fast I was going, each drop of rain stung my skin. My brother offered me the goggles that he was wearing, but I told him to hang onto them. Instead I squinted my eyes and tried to see with my eyelids slightly peeled open. I was a bit nervous, but I was confident that I could get us home. The clouds were almost over our heads when there was a massive drop in the temperature. I knew in my gut that something very bad was about to happen. This story will be concluded in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment