Friday, April 8, 2011

Poisoned with Plastic

          This story goes back to when I was in high school. Before reading this I would to let you no that at no point should you ever do this. It is dangers and can cause harm to others and you. During one of our days in science class, we were doing some kind of experiment that involved using a hot plate. I believe that the project had something to do with seeing how temperature affects different liquids in a beaker. I don't know for sure if that was it or not, but it was something along those lines.
          Anyway, at some point the teacher was focused on what the other students were doing and made the mistake of taking her eyes off me. I had become board and like any kid with A.D.D. I found a way to entertain myself using the tools in the environment around me. I saw that there was a hot plate near me and decided to have some fun with it. I grabbed a plastic spoon, which we were using to stir with, and placed it on the top of the hot plate.
          As it started melting I let more of it slide from my hand and onto the surface. Smoke started to rise from the plate as the spoon continued to deteriorate. I noticed that the smoke had a foul smell that almost burned my nose, but since no flames had started I didn't see what could go wrong. My teacher eventually smelled the smoke and looked around to see where it was coming from. When she finally saw that it was plastic that I was burning, she immediately made me take it off and had the class and I exit the room.
          We all waited in the hall while she opened up the windows to allow the smoke to air out. I found out that day that when plastic is burned it creates a fume that is dangerous to the body if inhaled. According to her what I had done was release a poison inside the classroom that could have had severe consequences for those breathing it in. Luckily, nobody was harmed in the incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment