Thursday, January 5, 2012

Happy Birthday

          My friend Dave just had his birthday over a month ago. For his birthday card I decided to get a little creative with what I was going to right in it. He just turned 24 on his birthday so I decided to have my comment revolve around his age.  I thought about what went through my head when I turned 25 and knew exactly what I was going to write. I gave him his card at his house and he started reading it out loud.
          "Dear Dave" he read "I hope you have a great birthday. Just think, in one more year one third of your life will be over. Can you see the light? I did". Dave looked up from the card. "Why would you write something like that in my birthday?" he asked with a smile. "Cause that's what went through my head when I turned 25" I said "I thought to myself, oh my God I only have two thirds of my life left to live."
          Later that day Dave's father and aunt came to the house. When the two of them were comfortable sitting down, Dave handed his dad the card I gave him. "Look what Chris wrote in my birthday card" he said. Dave's dad opened up the card and started reading. "Can you see the light? I did" Dave's dad read as he finished the last line.
          A slight smile cracked on his face when he smiled at me. "What the hell is wrong with you?" he asked he laughing "How is that supposed to make feel?" Dave's dad than pointed at his older sister , Dave's aunt, and said "How do you think that makes her feel?" "Well it's true isn't it?" I said  "75 years is the average lifespan right?" "Yea but you don't write that in somebody's card" he said while shaking his head. "What are we going to do with you Chris?" he laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment