Tuesday, November 8, 2011

TSA Scanner

          This story took place during a talk radio show I was on called The Brian Nole Show. For the topic of the show, we decided that we were going to talk about the TSA Scans going on at the airports. Being one of the three hosts, I took the liberty of inviting my friend Dave and his girlfriend to the studio to see what we do. Dave accepted my offer to join us on the mic and participate in our conversation. Unlike our main host Brian, Dave was a suporter of the TSA Scanning and I thought it would be good to have him on the show so we could have some conflict.
          After introducing Dave to Brian, I got Dave set up with a mic in the interview room, which is seperate from the on-air studio. I made sure I was sitting at the mic next to him. Now Dave can be extremely shy, so he was a bit nervouse about going on the air. I assured him that everything would be fine and that he had nothing to worry about. Now the debate between Dave and Brian had been pre-planned for the show, so there was no backing out. The show got underway and we all started off by introducing ourselves and Dave.
          Eventually it got to the point where Brian started introducing stories regarding the TSA, so Dave knew he would get his chance to speak soon. However, the evidence for Brians point of view was a little harder for Dave to counter than he thought. For example, Brian talked about how a girl had been reported chained to a chair and crying because she was uncomfortable with the procedure. She was also laughed at by the agents due to her behavior. In another example, Brian told how elderly people were humiliated by being asked to strip down so that they could be searched.
          As Brian continued, Daves eye got bigger and bigger. I couldn't help but sit there laughing at the look on his face. When Dave heard enough he pushed the mic away from his face and whisperred to me "I can't do this".  Because we were in a seperate room, Brian couldn't hear what we were saying. "Oh come on" I said "go for it". "He just said a girl was CHAINED to a chair CRYING" Dave continued "how am I supposed to fight that". When Dave started questioning me about Brian's point of view I said "Well, it's not so much that he's against the TSA, but more about how they abuse their authority." "What? I hate you" Dave said. "Why?" I asked still laughing. "You mislead me you -sshole" Dave responded. "No I didn't" I said "he is against the TSA's activities".
          Dave sat there cursing me under his breath "You son of a b-tch I hate you". It got to the point where I thought he was going to walk out of the room, but I was able to convince him to stay. When Brian was done his little rant regarding the TSA, he turned to Dave and said "So Dave, what are your thoughts on this?". After a few seconds to think, he started talking.
          Dave did pretty good considering Brian had pretty much made it seem like Dave was supporting the bad guys. His whole argument was that because what they were doing was for peoples safety, the TSA shouldn't be judged too harshly. As Dave's confidence built up, he was actually able to put Brian in a few awkward position using hard questions. So I felt the show was a success and I had gotten a big laugh out of it.
Here's a link to our Facebook Fan Page of The Brian Nole Show:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Brian-Nole-Show/143332742361283

No comments:

Post a Comment