Monday, March 7, 2011

Weight Problem

          According to my friend Dave, one of the funniest circumstances I ever got into occurred during one of our school field trips. Our class was spending a few night's at a camp and were put through varies physical activities during the day. One morning we were taken to a location where we had to walk across a wire that was fifteen feet in the air. The wire was between two tree's maybe twenty feet apart and ropes were hung above the wire so that you could hold your balance to keep from falling. But just in case you did, you would have a harness attached to your body that was connected to someone on the ground, who had the job of holding you up incase you lost your balance.
          After everyone had their turn and tried to get across, it was the teachers turn to try to make it. This teacher was a rather large woman who Dave and I estimate was around 250 pounds. Than it was time to decide who would be the back up person incase the teacher fell. For some reason that none of us understood, the camp counselor decided that I was the best person to be back up. Now at the time I weighed around 110 pounds and I was supposed to keep a 250 pound lady from falling to the ground.
          The counselor got me and the teacher strapped up, than sent her on her way up. I was standing right behind the counselor, who was also strapped to the line and had the job of letting more of the line go as the teacher got further across. Considering hardly anyone had fallen before, I wasn't expecting anything big to happen. Instead of focusing on what I was doing, I talked to my friends and looked around at my surroundings.
          As I was watching a butterfly, I heard a loud scream come from above. Before I even had a chance to look up, the harness attached to my waist pulled forward so fast that my that my legs, arms, and head snapped back. Dave said that I looked just like a cartoon character with the way my body reacted. The counselor and I were pulled into the air as the teacher dropped from the sky. Somehow we all stopped moving when we almost met in the middle. As my friends laughed on the ground I yelled at them to get us down. They grabbed hold of my legs and began dragging me and the counselor back down. After we all were safe on the ground, we moved on to the next activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment